Sandy Shores - The Fiddle Yard - Part 3

Work has continued on the fiddle yard over the last couple of days. I decided that since the two existing bits of ply in the fiddle yard were not the right shape, and given that it would be easier to get everything at the same height if there were fewer pieces I decided to rebuild the fiddle yard out of one bit of ply. Therefore, a template was cut out of newspaper to get the right shape (although something thicker would've been better as it wouldn't have moved.


I also decided that since the turntable had moved further away from its original position I should cut off the existing entry trackbed and incorporate it into the new single ply piece:


After an hours worth of fettling the new ply top, it was time to fit it in place. I countersunk the screws (the photo below shows progress only part way through the operation), and made sure that it all fitted in place nicely including the lighting rig etc.


Now that I finally had something test-fitted in place, I turned my attention to the table. In the end I ditched the ply strips and screwed the lazy susan onto some left over bits of softwood. A washer was included otherwise the table would not be able to spin freely!


Next up was to test fit the table in place. Despite allowing for the slightly un-round shape of the table when marking out the ply top, it was still too snug. In the end I decided the best way to sand the table was to use a sanding attachment on the Dremel. In between showers of rain it was round at long last!


Apart from cutting out a few bits of copper clad board, that's about it for the last couple days. This does however mean that tomorrow, all being well, I can wire up the fiddle yard and maybe even get the wiper contacts in place ready for testing.

Exciting stuff!

Comments