Sandy Shores - A messy job!


Work has continued today - now I'm really getting back into it nicely!

I decided to continue on with the landforms, starting with putting some DAS clay on the stream bed. The clay was left over from when I started making the mill for Old AGWI Rd. so it's gone a bit past its best - making it quite tough to apply. Thankfully I had the foresight not to glue the trackbed in place until the stream was in place. Once it is painted and bit of "water" is put in place I can glue the trackbed down and get on with the landforms that partially cover the ply trackbed.


With that done, attention turned to slightly trimming the sand dune towards the front of the layout. Although I haven't taken off much, it seems to sit a lot better. I also dug out some polystyrene so that the pill box can (temporarily until it is repainted) sit further into the dune. As you can see, a start was made on covering the layout in more DAS clay (hence why the trestle bridge has been removed).


Next on the agenda was to cover the saltmarsh and mudflats in clay. I happened to have some plaster-type stuff to try out for this bit, although I wish I had stuck to DAS! It was a real pain in the proverbial to work with, was not friendly to my hands, and set far too quickly. I now have a large lump in the bottom of the container which had already set hard 30mins in. My advice is to make up WAY less than the packet suggests you should if you plan on using this stuff. (Woodlands Scenics 'Smooth-It'). I'm hoping it takes to sanding as easily as it suggests it will!


A final view for now of the messy layout! I think having the pillbox lower down into the sand dune and beach has made a big difference to the scene. It seems to make it look much less busy - just as I had hoped!



Tomorrow I'm hoping to cover remaining areas (minus the trackbed) with DAS if I have enough left!

Comments