A Bridge Too Far? | The Jetty | Part 1


After having visited the model shop on Saturday I came back with a small fortune's worth of Plastruct, I decided to start work on the aerial ropeway. But no matter how much you spend on Plastruct, you never seem to have enough!

Anyway so I set about constructing the second aerial ropeway pylon. The first one will be reused from the diorama I built 3 years ago. It could do with a bit more bracing, but it'll do for now! In reality the pylons would be spaced a lot further apart (probably in the region of between 80-100cm in 1:76 scale), but modellers license is the way I do things.

Thanks to the "Britain from Above" website, I have managed to see a little bit more detail on the ropeway, however, the dock unloading/loading station is still hard to determine exactly what it looked like. I will say, the whole layout will not be accurate, and I have taken a few liberties with the design of it. For example, the pylons have a simplified design compared to the real things, but I have taken care to show the general look of them.

Anyway so here is where I have got up to so far:

Still more left to do, but the general shape is there. A bit more cross bracing, some pulleys, and a lick of paint and it should look fine.

Tomorrow I plan to start construction of the jetty ropeway station, so that should be an interesting challenge to build! I'll document my construction throughout.

My first diagram for the aerial ropeway station... more in the next blog post!


*UPDATE - Track plan amended thanks to a suggestion by James Hilton*



Comments