Coasters and Mugs of Tea!


Ok, so the second is always a given!
After being stuck with a cold for a few days, it seems it is finaly on its' way out of my system. So what better time whilst I am ill to research. After days of research I have finally found what I assume to be the ship that occurs in my one reference photo of the jetty (or one very similar). This is the Dorset Coast (latterly known as the Logic, and the S.S. Ulster Hero, and finally Saint Conan until it was wrecked at sea). Research suggests it was delivered to its first owners in 1924, and after change of ownership (and of course names) it was eventually scrapped in 1951 after having been stranded on rocks!




I have compressed the length down from 188.5ft to 162ft for my model, which now gives it a scale length of 56.9cm IIRC. Just small enough to fit on the jetty board as shown above!
I have decided to completely scratchbuild the boat as there are no suitable models available, and by the time you have bought a ready made hull or what have you, suddenly it is infeasibly expensive.

At the moment I am not sure what I will be building it out of. I was thinking a polystyrene (since I have tons of it, and it can easily be carved) hull, and the rest being made from plasticard. I am unsure what I would cover the polystyrene hull in as of yet. I should also note that (as usual!) I am not going to aim for an accurate model. As with everything I do, it will be built to look good enough for me. If other people don't like it, then they're the only ones who will get upset about it - I don't have time for that :D

Anyway, service will resume on Monday as I have a family christening to attend and play music at tomorrow.


Comments

  1. I would suggest you plate the hull in litho plate. It can be glued on with Evo-Stik (carpet one, not the new tube sort). It doesn't warp or get bumps in it like thin styrene sheet. I used the method on a board room model beck in the 1970s and the model is still on the board room table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, had never heard of that stuff before! Any ideas of where I could purchase such a thing?
    Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment