Testing Gradients


I've had a hard time visualising how the gradients on the layout would look, so I wanted to make a start today on basic landforming. It also gave me an excellent idea for an interesting scene.

The prototype railway at Fawley still has the old dual gauge loco shed, and as far as I am aware, is still used to this day. I knew this was something I wanted to include on the layout but I couldn't find a proper space for it without having to make custom trackwork. There used to be a small loco shed just for the narrow gauge but was often flooded on high tides - the inspection pit often filling with water!
I'm not sure when this was demolished, but I believe it was probably after the two steam locos left.

Anyway, whilst carving polystyrene, I moved the loco shed mock up out of the way and suddenly realised I could just about fit it between the powerhouse and the filling shed. Thus suddenly I began carving polystyrene and marking out potential gradients. That's more like it! I can now have my dual gauge shed I wanted - plus, it's on a higher level as per the prototype so the inspection pit won't flood.

I will keep the other loco shed site and model the NG steam shed previously mentioned - complete with flooded inspection pit!





So with that out the way, I think I finally have a much better plan - plus, yet another interesting focal point. I'm hoping to finish off the board construction this week so things can really get moving.

Comments