The Fiddle Yard Design


Here is my initial plan for the fiddle yard. It is based off of a similar arrangement to my first iteration of Calshot, however is slightly simplified. The "table" has both a standard gauge and a narrow gauge track on it at a fixed distance. Trains pull onto the table. Power is carried onto the table probably via a rod in tube method. Note the dead tracks on the right. This is to stop any rogue locomotives flying off of the board when the operator has a lapse of judgement/falls asleep :D

The yard roads are all powered via some sort of selection switch, one for the standard gauge tracks, and one for the narrow gauge tracks. That is the extent of the wiring for the fiddle yard.


The following sequence explains how it works:






Let me know what you think.
I was going to go for cassettes due to their simplicity, but after having dropped a loco yesterday I want to have a safe system with which to handle locomotives. This is why I came up with this design.

I haven't shown the diagram to scale, but the "table" is only just over a foot, so it will not be too cumbersome!


Comments