The Power House - Part 1


Yet another day, and yet another building frame. Well, part of it anyway.
With its plentiful big windows, I realised I was going to have to pay special attention to the interior of the power house. I have no idea what it was like on the inside but I am going to base it on a turbine hall. All I know is that it was probably powered by coal since coke was often transported around the site to/from the power houses (there were two).

A search online fails to bring up any relevant or helpful photos, so I had very little to base it on. I decided to go for something like this: http://www.ngte.co.uk/buildings/ps/index.htm

Anyway, I decided the best approach was to build the shell from girders, but I did not want to spend a lot of money on Plastruct pieces. I decided therefore to make my own! A little tedious, but worth it in my opinion.


The steel beams were stepped to allow a traverser crane to be sited without having to add extra supports. The photo above shows the profile of them. Then we add the flange plates:


And we end up with something like this:


The only ready made Plastruct sections I used were for the crane beams and the crane itself (yet to be built). However, I did add a notched piece of plasticard under the beams to allow them to recess into the vertical steel frame.


Now put it together (if only is was that quick in real life), and we end up with this:


And thus finally this:



Now I need to work out how to make the ends and also the roof trusses.
I have to say I'm glad I decided to make the whole thing completely from scratch. It is so much more rewarding, and I have to say the end result already looks good.



Comments