Woodworking (just!) - Part II

...and now for the second and final update from today!

We finally managed to get the third board up on its own legs. I say finally because we miscalculated the length of the leg (forgetting that the leg is rebated into the baseboard!). No matter, all we needed to do was add a ply rectangle to the bottom of the leg. This also helps a lot with stability of the layout, which was an added bonus. It just goes to show that even mistakes are useful!


I then decided that since I had the clamps out and it was dark outside, I could test the brightness of the new 3 way spot lights. I have to say, despite them having energy saving bulbs they are pretty damn bright! The whole thing is precariously balanced on two battens simply clamped to the board. I can assure you this will not be how it's done permanently!

I also need to work out what height the lighting pelmet needs to be. In the pictures, it is off centre and at about 50cm in height. I feel we may need to increase it to nearer 70cm from the top of the board. I have decided a small triangular ply pelmet will surround the lighting unit to reduce glare into peoples eyes. This needn't be very big at all.



As you can see, despite some large buildings, the light manage to reach almost all areas of the boards except for the very edges. The only place where this may be a problem is Ashlett Creek due to the high mill building being in the way of the light. If need be I'm sure I can sort something out later on!

I won't have access to the power tools tomorrow, so I will be starting on the basic ground-forms and quay walls on Ashlett Creek. This is where the layout should really start to take form!

And of course, note that the building placement in the photos above may not be permanent as I am still shuffling things around. Now the layout is on its own legs (minus the jetty board), it will be easier to see exactly what can go where.

Comments