Woodworking (just!) - Starting to join boards together


If there's one thing that I wish I was better at - its woodwork. Actually, I'm OK on a lathe, and making dovetail joints, but can I saw straight or drill straight? NOPE!

Still, it seems to be holding together fine, and is pretty damn strong for its weight. A little bit of wobble, but thinking about it, it would make a handy solution to stuck 009 locos - just knock on the board and they'll start moving again!


Above: The much simpler arrangement for the legs on the "blade" boards can be seen. I may add one bolt just to secure the leg in place. The ply leg is simply sandwiched by two battens of the baseboard, with an extra supporting block screwed onto the leg, which also stops the leg from resting (and thus damaging) the polystyrene.

Above: M10 bolts keep the whole thing secure and prevent any movement. They were drilled at an angle due to the restricted space (the polystyrene was too close to get the drill in properly). If I were to build the boards again, I'd probably just make the wooden frames before anything else.

Above: The first two boards have been connected and lie nice and square to each other. There is about 1cm extra width on the blade boards. No idea why, but it's not a problem - I can easily add another bit of ply onto small sides of the middle board in the future.

So that's todays progress so far, hopefully the other two boards will be done in the next day too. Meanwhile, I might spend a bit of time tonight on starting on the creek bed and quay walls on the Ashlett Creek board (shown below). This will all be made out of clay as it is my preferred medium for this kind of work.

Above: The beginnings of the creek can be seen in this shot of the Ashlett Creek board. This will ALL be covered in a thin layer of clay soon. You can just about see in the back where I had to add more polystyrene underneath because of the depth of the creek channels.

More to come either tonight or tomorrow!


Comments