Claytacular!

Only two photos from today because I spent from 10am till about 4pm with my hands covered in clay! I managed to get almost all the clay put down on the layout. The bits left to do are those bits of scenery on the upper level not glued down, and also any walling (So the Ashlett Creek quay/mill pond walls, and also the high level walls). Then it's a matter of covering the trackbed (and in between the sleepers of the track as well).


Other important progress I carried out today was to finish laying all the narrow gauge track even on the jetty. The jetty trackbed isn't secured down yet because I need to fit the support underneath. However, I was extremely careful in lining up the track on the board join and I'm pleased to say all the track on board joins has been cut with complete success. Rolling stock rolls smoothly over every join, even the dual gauge shed line! I'm absolutely thrilled about this, as I really thought with my luck (as it has been lately) that it wouldn't work.


So what's left to do before the show on Saturday? Here's my thoughts:

Important:
  1. Finish putting in all the track feeds in and wire them up to connector blocks underneath the boards.
  2. Rig up a temporary wiring system from the control panel connecting one controller to the aforementioned feeds.
  3. If the clay has dried, try painting the basic colours on.
  4. Remove point motors that are not sat correctly.
  5. Test the trackwork completely.
Added Bonus:
  1. Try painting the flat wagons, the oil barrels, and install Greenwich couplings
  2. Build the shell of the rearmost buildings
  3. Install the jetty supports
  4. Install wooden posts on Ashlett Creek board and on the jetty
  5. Fit the backscene
  6. Lay the standard gauge track
  7. Install the lighting rig
It's a long list, and those are the most important tasks!
That being said, I'm relieved that the trackwork seems to be all sound, and that only a few pieces of polystyrene are visible now.

On the days of the exhibition, here is what I plan to do:
  • Not fit the fiddle yard board, and for the majority of the time just have a loco and wagons trundling along the main line loop. The option to shunt is there should I feel like it!
  • Spend my time at the exhibition working on the buildings for the layout, and generally demonstrating my techniques to the general public.
  • Answer any questions about the construction of the layout or about the prototype.
This way I figure there is still enough to hold the public's attention, and hopefully they will also learn something interesting and/or useful.


Comments