The Tide Mill [Ashlett Creek] Pt.1


I thought I had another kilo of white DAS clay but it turns out I used more than I thought last week! No matter, I'll just have to pick some more up later on in the week. I did buy a pack of terracotta clay though which I was originally going to use to fill in the gaps between the sleepers. However, the colour is more suited to brick buildings. And what two brick buildings do I need to build? The fire station and the tide mill at Ashlett Creek. I really could not stand the thought of cutting up a thousand sheets of Wills flemish bond and then trying to get them to join up perfectly (I still haven't worked out how to do that). Therefore, I thought I'd try making the building out of the terracotta clay instead.


So first things first, I rolled out the clay to a relatively uniform thickness and marked out the shape of the end gables. The holes for the windows were also marked and cut out. The same was done for the other gable end and the walls, and the whole lot was left to dry flat on a bit of greaseproof paper.



So I'm afraid that's all I could do today (but it took long enough anyway!). When they are dry, I can begin the mammoth task of scribing every brick. I still haven't worked out what on earth I'm going to make the roof out of though...


Comments