A little waiting shelter - SSLR (Sandy Shores Light Railway)


So armed with an idea as to how I wanted the little platform shelter to look, I set about drawing out a mock-up on a bit of paper. Using measurements from a small garage I had made, and the height of the coach seen in the photo, I marked up the first elevation. This is all guesswork, although I tried to keep the proportions looking nice.


Then it was time to add on the roof. Spot the stupid mistakes!
I had very much forgotten just how difficult it is to work out angles for hipped roofs. It really became apparent when it came to cutting it out and sticking it together. Oh bother!


So now mightily perplexed, I wondered how on earth you are supposed to work out the right angles. In the end I just took a ruler to the approximate angle and found the point were all 4 sides met. This was I think at a length of 4cm from corner to top. A bit of basic deduction (the sides are 5cm long, and the halfway point thus being 2.5cm) meant I had something that was around about right...ish!


So here is the mock-up in place on the layout. It's surprisingly small, but as with many cases in modelmaking - less truly is more! 


And finally you can see the size of it compared to the old garage I made (but never got around to painting!). The walls are 1cm taller, but the roof about 1cm lower. The length of the waiting shelter is also shorter -5cm compared to 7cm of the garage.


Overall I'm really happy with the dimensions and I think it'll be a welcome retreat for the passengers at Sandy Shores! Let me know your thoughts.

Edit: 8:55pm
Feedback suggests that actually its too big. I looked at the photo above and then realised - I hadn't taken into account the height of the platform - thus the walls are a scale 3m high instead of 2m!

Back to the cutting mat:


At least I got the roof correct (ish) this time!
That little lot folded up into this, with an old Hornby (I think) figure for scale.


At first I was a little concerned that I had gone too far the other way and made it too small, but I don't think it's too far off, but at this size it will have to be set back from the platform edge a way.


A final shot shows the two mock ups side-by-side. And I thought the original one was small!



Comments