Sandy Shores - Baseboards Pt.1

Work has begun on the baseboards. I'll admit, neatness is not my forte, and my baseboard construction techniques have never been very good. Nethertheless, here are some photos and I'll try to explain as I go along!

I didn't want to buy more materials than I had left over from various projects so it really will be a bit odd. I decided that since I had a load of polystyrene left over from a failed OO project, I would use this as the base (as on Old AGWI Rd.).  Two polystyrene layers form a sandwich with a thin (haven't measured the thickness) bit of ply in between. This ply will hopefully give enough rigidity and also help provide a stable base for the turntable.

You may note that I haven't actually made the turntable overhang. I figured that the extra space gained isn't worth the hassle that leaving it overhanging might cause.

Below: The two polystyrene layers


 Below: Using a point motor template from Old AGWI Rd. I started marking out the holes for access to the point motors.



Below: Before these could be cut out, a template of the trackbed was created using "layout paper" which is thin (think tracing paper) enough to see the pen beneath it. I made the template wider than it needs to be to allow for any errors that the point templates would possibly have caused (the geometry could be a bit out). You can also see the thin bit of ply between the two layers of polystyrene.


Below (two photos): The point motor holes are carved out and marked onto the ply beneath, before being cut out with a jigsaw.



Below: The jigsaw ran out of battery (ply is a tough material to cut, so I always find the batteries never last long!) so I set about marking out the trackbed onto the left-over ply.



More to come later (once the jigsaw has charged)!

Comments