Sandy Shores - Laying it out

Following on from Michael's suggestion of a different fiddle yard position (on the NGRM thread), I think I've worked out the minimum size of the layout with that configuration: 105cm long x 70cm wide. Sorry part of the image is cut off, I was balancing precariously on a chair to take this photo. (The measurements include the bit accidentally cut off in the photo)


As you can see from the diagram, average train lengths will be a loco + 3 short wheelbase wagons.
I'm probably going to be trying a various configurations over the next day or so to figure out what is the best board shape (both practical and visual wise). I'm tempted to straighten the backscene (the blue line) on the right hand side to run parallel with the fiddle yard tracks.


This shows the typical view (I need to mock up that lighthouse though!) that a visitor may see. I love how the track curves at both ends of the layout - the siding on the right, and the loco shed headshunt on the left. That "ambulance wagon" on the left sited on the loco shed headshunt may be an almost permanent site. At Calshot there was one stored at the loco shed carrying spare parts for the engines! It would make a nice scene if I can work out how to careful model one of the doors to be open.

So overall, whilst 105cm x 70cm is a bit wider than the original plan, at least I now have a usable fiddle yard. Plus, it's still easy to carry/store at this size. I think with this configuration I can actually get away with having the layout as one board. As Michael says, it saves a lot of hassle!

Comments