Sandy Shores - Landform Creation Pt. I


I spent a long time cutting out the initial landforms from the polystyrene. As you may note, I haven't yet done the pond or stream that runs under the track. The photo below also shows the amended layout of the creek. Again, in order to minimise the stress later trying to get water to match the water on the backscene, I've decided to add a main creek channel and mudbank on the right hand side. This probably makes more sense geologically speaking as well.


 Above: The initial carving of the creek-bed and seabed is complete
Below: I then deemed it necessary to rebate the ply trackbed into the polystyrene. The reasoning behind this is because on Old AGWI Rd. I did not do this and I found it wasted a lot of clay trying to build up the groundlayer (especially for infilled track).

This did mean that I had to completely redo the mudbank/saltmarsh as it was now too high as you can see on the right, below:


Below: An hour or so later and this is the result - a mudbank height that gives enough clearance to show the jetty supports off better.


Tonights' job is to work out how to construct the pelmet. I think a major baseboard redesign is on the cards with a similar construction to Calshot, whereby a lattice frame was made underneath the ply bottom of the layout. This also gives room for wiring and also gives support to add both the bottom fascia, and also the upright supports needed to hold up the backscene and the lighting pelmet.

Once I've worked it out I'll add a diagram. Tomorrows' job is likely to be finishing off the messy polystyrene landforms - shouldn't take too long unlike today.

Comments