Sandy Shores - Layout Lighting - Part I

Before I get onto the title of this blogpost, just a little update on the crossing!

Following Ted P's step-by-step guide on how he built his crossing, the insulating gaps in the crossing have now been cut using a fine track saw (x-acto to be precise). It took quite a while to cut through, and I was very nervous about ripping the tiny bits of rail off. Thankfully nothing broke though!




And so in other news, I finally got around to test fitting the new lighting. The stuff I went for was LED strip from a company called Aled LED. It's cheap and for a reason - the inbuilt plug that came with it is probably down-right illegal, not to mention dangerous. As soon as I saw this I cut it off and wired up a new plug. For those that aren't aware - this T shaped plug has no fuse and I've heard many stories of these setting alight!


The new plug was wired up and it still works as intended (although the wire they use is so poor quality (thin and rubbery feeling) that I'm surprised it works!). Anyway, I digress, With it loosely tacked onto the pelmet, I could try out the different colours, and make my own ones too.



I've tried out a variety of colours: from bright white, to a yellow/white and to a blue white. When it's installed properly I'll make sure I have some presets that work with the scenery once it is built.




Comments