Sandy Shores - Storing and Exhibiting

I've spent the last couple of days refining ideas on how I would like to store the layout both for transport and for home storage. It suddenly occurred to me that the storage box would also be ideal for use as the layout legs. At 120cm long, it would be ideal for eye level viewing if the layout was attached on top of it. I'm not going into the debate of whether exhibitors should all design around those in wheelchairs that attend exhibitions. My views on this matter have been documented elsewhere on the NGRM-online forum.

I have spent a long time thinking up the most logical way to include all of these factors:

- Make it accessible to as many people as possible
- Fit everything needed at an exhibition into the storage box (electrical leads, layout curtain, tools etc)
- Fit the pelmet, backscene, pelmet supports and main layout in the box

With that in mind, here is what I've come up with - the design has evolved a lot over the last couple days from a simple box to a really useful and tidy system.

Above and below:  How everything is put away! The pelmet fascia is the first to go in on the bottom shelf with the layout pushed in after to lock it in place. On the top shelf the pelmet supports are slid into place on the right, with a box containing all the misc stuff and the turntable, and another box containing the backscene (more on that later). Two more compartments at the top - one for a box containing all the buildings and trees, and another with the stock box in.















The next three images show how the layout is transported. There is actually another use for the "handle" which will become apparent soon! The handle is locked into place with a pin on both sides.




























And finally a couple images showing the final set up. The use for the handle should now become apparent. In order to make the layout accessible to children, I have taken the liberty to stack and attach two boxes (the tree/building box, and the big misc box) and attach the handle to form a set of steps with handrail for little 'uns to see the layout properly. The handrail should also prevent kids from touching the layout (hopefully!).



The wheels on the back will only just touch the floor at this angle so the whole lot should not move (that's the theory anyway!). As an added bonus, the supports for the handle on the back of the box also give that little bit more support for the layout. I expect I will have to attach the layout and box together to minimise any potential risk of the layout falling off.

You'll also note that the door on the box is still openable should anything be needed to be put away/taken out! Another little detail which I was keen to think about when designing this.

Comments

  1. My goodness, this is impressive planning! You are the diametrical opposite of me, if I had planned something as well as this (and I am incapable of so doing) then I wouldn't need to build it, that would have been the thing out of my system :-) I really hope you get to carry on and build it...you've honed your skills and ideas to the point where this will be a perfect conjunction. It's also such an attractive scheme. I should also admit that my non-existent joinery skills would defeat me at this stage too. So, no pressure then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thank you Iain!
    I really wish I had taken this approach with my other layouts! But I guess you learn from your own mistakes so I can't really complain. I only wish I could get it out my system without actually having to build it as well - it would save so much money, time and space. The box shown above will be the last thing to be built (I don't want to risk making it too small!), but the softwood battens and 3mm ply I went out and bought today, along with the track and points.

    As for wodworking skills, my dad is a carpenter, and I've done a bit over the years. BUT I still cannot cut wood straight for the life of me! We'll see how it goes, fingers crossed. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would make a good team...cutting wood straight, I do really well...everything else I am useless at :-) You carry on, you are an inspiration with these projects of yours and they are all so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha :D Considering your absolutely fantastic skills as a modeller, I am thrilled by your compliments!
    It's when my dad cuts wood perfectly straight and does the most complex mitred corners in minutes flat, here I am 2 hours later and all I have is a wonky bit of woodwork to show for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really impressive planning and progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much Mark!
    I'm glad you're enjoying following along.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment