Sandy Shores - Woodwork - Part III

Before I show the latest progress on Sandy Shores, I hope the changes I've made to the blog make it easier to use. Whilst the previous style looked great, I didn't like how clumsy the sidebar was so I've had to backdate to an older style. Let me know your thoughts!

OK, let's get to the fun stuff!

I've spent a couple days working on the pelmet supports and have managed to complete the basics of it. After having had some tips on how to cut wood a bit straighter, I'm getting a little better at it. It's still not perfect by a long way, but I think it'll be fine.



Above:  I could've notched the post and beam but to be honest despite my improved sawing I didn't want to risk it. Thus a simple butt joint with a metal bracket and two screws through the top was chosen. It seems to be stable enough for what I want it for anyway.


Above: Two out of the three supports have been constructed, with the components for the last one scattered on the left! You may also note a circular object - this is a lazy susan. Really it's a little too big but this is why I didn't make the storage box before building the layout...


Above: And now all three pelmet supports have been fastened and attached via standard door hinges. Amazingly it actually works as intended - phew!


Above: Slight issue! Due to not allowing extra space that the hinges need between the posts, the right hand post not only creeps onto the space allocated for the turntable, but also gets in the way of the track bed a little. I will have to double check clearances here, and the turntable may have to be moved slightly. Oops!

Below: The layout as it stands now. It's finally starting to actually look like something, and with the points and copperclad board having arrived it won't be long before tracklaying starts!


Comments

  1. I like the new look! It's a little wide for my screen (a 48cm one) but it's easy to scroll right to see the sidebar. That previous Blogger template looked great as you say, but was clumsy and unintuitive to use, so full marks for improving things. Your woodwork looks rather impressive and a lot better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iain! Maybe I'll add a thin sidebar on the left showing the archive/index and have the other one on the right for everything else. I'll trial it out and see how it feels to use. It's always tricky when a website can be viewed on many different sizes of screen!

    As for the woodwork, you should see it up close, then you'll beg to differ! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment