A Grounded Van - Part 1


I've spent the last couple days starting work on the grounded van which I'm hoping will make for an interesting scene once the layout is complete. I'm a little apprehensive about this mainly because I've never tried to model anything quite so forlorn before. The real test will be when it comes to painting and weathering as I've no clue about how to carry out that stage!


Above: The basic underframe can be seen here. I'm yet to add the many cross members that will be needed, but that will be done eventually as it will be partly visible through the rotting floor.

Below: Next to go on were the four supporting posts on the ends. I'm not aiming for an 100% portrayal of the real thing, so I'm not worried that the chamfer isn't quite accurate.



Above: This is actually the second of the two sides being glued together with PVA. As you can see, I've omitted the odd plank and tried to "distress" the wood in places to give that abandoned look.

Below: During part of the build I had my feline friend overseeing the work! She seemed to take great interest in the construction of the sides. She must've thought I was preparing food or something...


Below: The final three photos show how far I've got over two afternoons work. I think I'm going to replace the "metal" supports (hence why they are bent out of the way) with thinner plasticard (when I get my hands on some). All the metalwork needs doing as you can see - from the corner plates to the straps on the side and everything else in between.

I also am yet to do the 4 curved roof supports since these will sit on the metal straps in the photo (once I've replaced them of course).




Special thanks to Bernard who kindly sent me some drawings for me to work from. I've also used an album full of photos from the restoration of an ex LBSC 10 ton box van for guidance, including one photo showing the pre-restoration condition - exactly as I plan to model it.

Comments