A Wooden Platform Shelter for Sandy Shores



In light of the arrival of the O&K, attention has finally turned back onto Sandy Shores!
I decided to tackle another of the structures that is needed for the layout - the wooden waiting shelter.
I really wanted to make this look like a typical tatty (but adorable!) seaside shelter, perhaps made from oak beams and a primitive roof from rusted corrugated iron.

You can see below the paper mock-up I built months ago. This was then used to cut bits of lollipop stick to the right lengths using the chopper device I showed a couple blog posts ago. Cutting the curved bracket was pretty infuriating as the lollipop sticks would all too easily split.


These parts were then glued together using PVA, with a basic bench and also basic window frames added. I have a huge box of these lollipop sticks left over from when I once made a pier railway (it was never finished), so I'm glad I kept them all these years later. Anyway, you'll notice I also added wide bits of wood to the bottom - this is to raise it up to platform height from ground level, and won't be seen when it the scenery is complete.

For the corrugated iron I use Southeastern Finecast sheets because they are nice and easy to use unlike the Will's stuff!


The photo below shows the basic wooden structure assembled. It's not perfect by any means, but I think that actually adds to the charm and tatty nature of the railway.


The final four photos show how far I've got today. Painting and weathering (along with the finial for the roof apex, and the lead for the ridges) will have to wait till I can work out how to carry them out in a satisfactory manner!






So that's it for today, I nice little project mostly complete!

Comments