Sandy Shores - The Water Tower


I decided that since I had no materials with which to "scenic" the dunes or paint existing structures, I would carry on building more instead! So I've made a start on constructing the simple water tower that will sit next to the platform, just in front of the pond. So out came the lollipop sticks, and the frame started to take shape:


Nothing complex here, and the chopper tool makes this construction a lot quicker and easier than it would otherwise be! It was then time to construct a simple 'metal' tank out of left over plasticard. The corners were sanded which surprisingly made a big difference to the final construction - much less harsh than just having square corners.


And to show how far I got with it, this is it located in roughly its final position on the layout. I've not really built it with any particular prototype in mind, but I knew I wanted wooden supports and a simple rectangular tank. Fittings, pipes, valves, and of course a ladder will be added at some point. I also need to add a few longitudinal wooden beams under the tank to better support it.



All in all, I'm pretty happy with it thus far - it seems to suit the tatty and simple nature of the line! I'll need to work out what pipework needs building as I plan to siphon 'water' from the pond to feed the tank. When it's all finished I will of course paint the tank into a suitably rusty condition - I expect the seaside location did no favours to the longevity of many structures here!

Comments