Sandy Shores - Structure Painting


Well, I couldn't get enough of the transformation that painting has brought to the layout, so here we go again! The water tower, wooden platform shelter and the grounded van have all been painted today. Here's the same technique that I used yesterday, but carried out on the water tower. Here's how it started off:


So to start off with, I did a thin wash of the gunmetal gray water-based acrylic:


Then a thin wash of the brown sand:


Followed by a mix of the two in a slightly thicker consistency:


Doing the same again but with a thicker consistency still gives me the final result. Note how on the lid of the tank I have avoided painting the edges as thick as the rest of it - this helps the natural colour of the wood to show through, thus suggesting wood that is worn at the ends.


So here is the same but done to the grounded van (those metal straps still need replacing!):


As mentioned at the beginning of the post, I also painted the waiting shelter. I forgot to take close ups of this, but a slightly different treatment was done on this building. It ended up being a lesson in trial and error - I was desperate to suggest green and yellow paint that had faded badly, and it proved to be tricky to carry out. I'll take some close ups tomorrow, and you'll see what I mean!



It's amazing what a bit of paint can do to lift a models appearance isn't it! I'm hoping that I can start the scenery on the sand dunes and beach tomorrow, but I'm not gonna promise anything - I seem to get more done that way!

Comments