Sandy Shores - Test Dunes - Part 2

It's one of two times of the year (those being May and September for some unknown reason!) when I decide I want to get back into modelmaking. So what to start with? Well, last time I left off, I was about to continue construction on the lighthouse when I realised I had made a crucial error with the dimensions. That still hasn't been sorted since then, so I've decided to move on for the time being and do some more sand dune experimentation.

I should say that only one of my layouts has thus far made it past the bare baseboard stage. I guess scenery is just something I've no idea how to tackle! Just before I took a break in May, I finally got around to buying some more paints to experiment with. You can see these below. There are a couple Sandtex masonry paints ("Sandstone", and "Cornish Cream"), a Wickes "Soft Sand" masonry paint, plus a few Wickes Emulsion "Cloud", "Powder" and "Tidal Wave". (The last one being left over from earlier trials on the layout).


Knowing from aerial photos that I need darker blue for the deepest bits of the sea, and lighter blue towards the waterline, I set about repainting the test piece from an earlier experiment. The dark blue ("Tidal Wave") probably isn't dark enough though. But it already looks promising. Next up was the darker bits of sand up to the high tide line. These were painted in the Sandtex "Sandstone", with the and above high tide and onto the dunes being painted with the "Cornish Cream". All in all, looking pretty good thus far...


...I also managed to get some play sand to experiment with. But how to approach this bit? My plan was that if I spread it on thin enough, the underpaint would show through...

...but in reality, i'm not happy with the results. The sand looks blotchy and universal in colour. The underpaint hasn't really shown through as much as I'd hoped. As you can clearly see, this is a steep learning curve for me!


I'm not really sure where to go from here. I have a couple ideas, but I don't know if they are gonna work. My first plan is to repaint over it all once the sand has fully dried from the PVA in exactly the same way that I did at the beginning stage. My only worry with that idea is whether it will all look too flat in colour...

Comments