Sandy Shores - More sand cometh

I've spent many hours painting the rail sides and I'm pleased to say the process has been completed. Once the sleepers have been painted I will go over any bits that I've missed (it turns out that cameras are very good at picking up bits you have missed!). I've also carried on covering the dunes/beach with sand. This is also a long process and not as easy as you would think as the sand doesn't like to stay on slopes very much. I'll have to remove everything that is loose on the layout and tip it on its side in order to cover up all the bare patches. One tool that has come in handy is an eyedropper - with care this makes it easier not to displace sand when applying the 50/50 PVA & water solution. I also add a bit of washing up liquid as you would do when ballasting track.




I'm really hoping that once the bare bits of painted plaster are covered over, the layout will look a little more realistic. I've loosely placed some grass tufts to help give a feel to what the dunes will end up like. Of course the final product will have much more of it. I'm still a little worried that the sand will look too uniform when I'm done. Perhaps the grass tufts will help mitigate this. If not I may have to resort back to painting over the sand!

Comments