Sandy Shores - Platform Maintenance


Despite the cold room in which the layout is set up in, I donned a hat and fingerless gloves to continue working on the platform and surrounding area. It has mainly been a day of painting as all the retaining walls have been painted. Whilst the paints were out I also made up the supports for the grounded carriage base. Unlike all the other wood on the layout, I decided to distress it before painting. You'll hopefully just be able to work out the lines I've scraped into the wood and the worn edges in places. Although pretty much all of this will eventually be hidden under the carriage, it was still worth doing in my opinion - not least because you never know where a camera will be pointed at the layout!


I also put the first layer of paint on the engine shed. I've been meaning to do this for well over a year - remember this is the same engine shed from Old AGWI Rd.! I know the wood looks extremely dark in the photos, but rest assured I will lighten it once I buy some light grey paint which I hope will help make it look slightly more sunbleached. The same goes for a lot of the wooden structures on the layout.


The next step is to apply sand to the immediate area to help bed in the retaining walls. Once that is done, and the extra layer of sand is added to the dunes, it should look a lot neater. The bokeh in the photos below helps to hide a multitude of messy gaps which will hopefully be filled later!


You may also have noticed that I've tried to replicate some pretty rusted corrugated iron on the shelter. I'm actually really happy with how this has turned out given that all I used were the same colours I used for weathering the wood (just in different proportions). Before any of you say "it looks far too bright!", I would have to disagree - going back to my trip to the IOW, there was an extremely bright rusted roof by the ferry terminal in Cowes. It was even brighter than I've shown here. As models need to be toned down a little, I feel the result I've achieved is actually not too bad considering.



Edit:For comparison, here is the photo of the roof in Cowes:



Comments