Sandy Shores - Quay - Part 1


Since I can't work on painting the track (and thus also ballasting), I turned my attention to the quay area. Another one of those simple but tedious jobs I'm afraid! Time to roll out some DAS clay and start scribing...


Whether I scribe whilst the clay is still "wet" or wait until it has dried completely depends on the texture I want from the clay. If I'm after neat and non-rounded brick courses I will scribe it when dry. If on the other hand I am going to make cobbled or other rough stone surfaces I will scribe it whilst wet. Another reason to scribe wet is for curved walls - it is far easier to scribe whilst the clay is still flat in this scenario.

Anyway, an hour later we have the breakwater scribed. Note I am still yet to properly clad the surface of the breakwater - this will be done when all the walls are in place.


As you may have noticed I also temporarily assembled the backscene in place to make photography a little easier! You might just be able to make out that two of the three bits of walling around the quay have been made. The final bit will need to wait until I've installed the steps.


A pretty small update, but it is progress nonetheless!

Comments