Sandy Shores - Quay - Part 2


Work has continued over the past few days adding clay to the quay area. I've lost track of how many hours I've spent scribing, but I know the section to the right of the track in the photo below took 2 hours today (and I now have a sore neck to prove it!). I'm happy with what I did today, but not what I did in previous days. Note the section to the immediate left of the track - it is obvious that I just scribed the whole length and not individual stones.

I think it was Daniel who mentioned this on someone else's layout thread (but I forget who's), and now I've noticed it, I can't unsee it! I also scribed it in a grid shape rather than overlapping every course. Whilst there are prototypes for this, it just looks too neat.

So I'm not sure exactly how to continue. I could potentially try sanding the left side down and rescribing, but that may mean having to add another thin layer of clay.


The other thing I've made a start on is the wooden landing jetty. This is to cover up the join between board and backscene. I've made it narrower than I was originally planning so that there is definitely enough clearance for small boats as seen below. The next job is to finish the jetty supports and the quay wall timbers, and paint them all.



Comments

  1. I would lay a thin bit of clay and impress it with coarse-ish sandpaper and make it either old concrete or tarmac, depending on period and taste, with suitable colouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, and welcome to the blog!
      I've also asked on NGRM-online, and a few came to similar conclusions. Others also said that there's nothing wrong with the cobbles, so I think I'll leave most of it as-is, but remove some stones and put some patchwork concrete in places. Hopefully the mix of materials and textures will help suggest that the breakwater has had years worth of various repairs!

      Delete
  2. These places are never too clean and neat. Repairs are there from every era. Check out St. Abbs in Scotland. (One of my favourite places)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment